Saturday 28 April 2012

Rizzle Kicks

On Thursday boyfriend Jake and I went to see the Rizzle Kicks live in concert at the Leamington Assembly. Being usually swung more towards folk and acoustic music meant that the 'hardcore urban beets' of these Brighton born youths seemed slightly intimidating. This is not true. Jake summarised the target audience into one simple phrase: "rap music for the white middle class . . ."

It has been about a year since I was last surrounded by self-conscious adolescents and felt for the first time in my life: old. We squeezed our way through the army of maroon coloured skinny jeans and top-knots to a polite distance form the stage. We didn't want to get crushed in a mob of children, or crush any children ourselves but didn't want to stand at the back with the mums and dads. . . It was an interesting demographic to say the least. However we did seem to gravitate towards the rest of our own peers and there was a middle distance of 18-25 year-olds.

Highlights for me include a parental advisory warning before, to the delight of the under-age audience, chanting the word fuck, and the Rizzle Kicks pointing out how, despite what the government seem to be telling us, smoking is cool.

It was the perfect opportunity for me to whack out some of my bad-man gangster moves although I did have to tell Jake he was cramping my style. This was met by the reply: "Jessie. You have absolutely no style to cramp."

When I told my parents, on individual occasions, that we had been to see the Rizzle Kicks, both instantly opened youtube and, glancing at me, both asked, "and how are you spelling Rizzle?" 

All in all Rizzle Kicks was a brilliant night out, even if we were hanging out with year nines. The Leamington Assembly is a beautiful regency venue and the cider was cheep. Thumbs up.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THE BLOG :D Keep them coming, Love Charlotte Xxx

    ReplyDelete